Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Weight Loss Oddity - The Scale

It's really really strange.  I mean it.  It's completely weird.

My weight has risen, but I'm still basically the same size as I was when I weighed in at 278.

It's bizarre.

Oprah was saying on her show that she doesn't even weigh herself anymore - that it's counter-productive.  She said that if she gets on and it shows a loss, it gives her permission to eat.  If she gets on and it reads a gain, then she beats herself up.  Instead she measures her success by dress size only.

I bring it up because I have concentrated my efforts back to the weight loss efforts.  Over the past few weeks my pudge hasn't budged, but inches are steadily creeping back down.

My sister bought me a couple of shirts at Target the other day.  I had already purchased a shirt there a month or so ago that was a 2X.  I really liked the shirt and they didn't have it any bigger, I tried it on and it was snug but it fit.  It wasn't tight. 

So I knew getting a 3X in these shirts yesterday would fit fine.

I'm wearing clothes bought off the rack - my measurements are definitely a size 24.  Yet the scale says I'm approaching 300lbs again (what I weighed at size 28).

It's weird.

I'm still kind of rewiring my brain to say it's okay to see the gain because the REAL results are what I feel when I pull on those size 24 clothes.  When I can purchase a shirt from Target and wear it right away.  When I can sit here in my ultra cute jammies from Target and it fit great. 

When I can hang out by the ocean in my size 24 bathing suit from Ross...

When I can sit on a plane and actually fit into one seat and buckle the seat belt and it not be cutting off the circulation to the lower part of my body.

These are the successes.

The pounds will just have to catch up in their own time.

As for me, I'll keep on keepin on.

Time to bust out the pedometer and get my 10,000 steps in per day.  I'll start small, of course.  I'll wear it a week and just see how many steps I've been getting in with my Shopping Workout. 

(It's really fun, you should try it!  It may be hot outside but it's air conditioned in the mall :) )

And often time I don't buy hardly anything at all, the idea is to get off my tush and on my feet - to move.

Another note of progress - I've dropped the chili from my lunch routine at Green Jeans.  Mostly because I don't like the way I feel if I eat too heavy.  The salad is enough, I don't need the chili weighing me down. 

These are the changes that matter.  Not whether or not I do this diet or that, this boot camp or that.  The changes that matter are respecting my body to treat it right.

And it likes to move.  It likes to eat better.

And you know what?  That's just fine.

The idea isn't to lose weight, it's to live a longer, healthier life.  Weight loss is the happy byproduct.

And now that it's an understood method of living rather than an obsession, I think I'll get that by-product a lot quicker.

How much I weigh is secondary to how I feel and how healthy my body is.

No numbers define those things. 

Time to stop living and dying by the scale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scale is just a tool!  I went through the same issues.  For me though, I had to shift my thinking so the scale is only one way that I measure my success.  The others include, my measurements, how I'm feeling, how my clothes fit...etc.  I use the scale to warn me if things aren't going right.  But if I know I'm on track, I don't get too upset (for too long anyway) if it's not going down.  I always look forward to the next week when maybe I'm not retaining water.  I also use it as a gauge to change up my exercise program.  If the scale stops moving then it signals me that it's time to kick it up a notch.  Look at it as a tool and not a sign of success or failure.  

Anonymous said...

I agree, because if it shows even a one pound gain I get so upset and it could just be as simple as extra water...