Friday, May 6, 2005

The ability to amaze oneself

It really is amazing what you can get done when you have to.

Yesterday I faced the day like Mount Everest.

Today I look down from the summit.

The good news...

I did get both my assignments done for school.
I did get the work done I was supposed to.
I got 25 pages written out.

The better news:

I did get a walk in.
I did watch that video like I wanted to.
I even managed to make dinner rather than order out.  <-- HUGE

The only thing I blew yesterday - the calories.  And the only reason I blew it is I bought the wrong kind of tortillas.  I ate assuming one thing, and getting another.

It happens.  I'm not beating myself up.

Not when I did manage to have a successful day.

I believe the trick is just giving myself a few set goals rather than stress out over everything.  Even Steven said he could tell my mood was good on the phone yesterday when he called me. 

I felt in control.  For a self affirmed Control Freak, that's a big deal.

My biggest challenge right now is that I'm mired right now in the script.  It's all I think about or want to do.  I still have a 2500 word essay done by Sunday for school, and about 8-12 more hours for work due by Sunday night at 10:00pm.  I don't want to wait till the last minute for either one.  I don't like stressing out over deadlines.

So.  It's all about priorities.  I may not can do everything, but I can do some.  I'll go with my heart today and let the writing lead me.

Today's goals:

Write first draft of college essay
Write another 25 pages in the script

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?  It isn't once I get immersed in the writing, especially the script.  In fact, if I stop at 25 I'll be surprised. 

I'm going to go easy on myself today.  If I get a walk in or not, I'm not going to demand it of myself.  I will probably meet my calories no problems (must.read.labels.first), and who knows?  I may even get some "real work" done.  But if I don't, I'm not going to beat myself up.

Baby steps.  Baby steps.

No comments: