Tuesday, November 18, 2003

The South Beach Diet #2

So far we've managed to eat things like chicken cordan bleu, made with lowfat ham and lowfat swiss, and instead of breaded toppings we use parmasan cheese.  It's pretty tasty.  We also made a taco salad, using Taco Bell brand taco seasoning, it has <1 gram of sugar.  Using the 96/4 lean hamburger meat and black beans, it's really very tasty with onions, lowfat cheese and tomatoes.

You're also allowed desserts provided they're low calorie and sugar free.  I've discovered a ravenous passion for sugar free Jell-O, especially the black cherry kind.  For the holidays I always make a lime jello salad that uses cream cheese, 7UP, lime jello and pineapple.  I'm going to make it this year making it as true to the diet as possible (sugar free jello, diet 7UP and lowfat cream cheese).  Losing the pineapple is going to hurt, it's one of my favorite fruits.

As of today I'm able to move on to the more liberal second phase of the diet, incorporating dairy, grain and fruit back in the diet.  I considered staying on phase one long enough to lose a substantial amount of weight (like about 30-40lbs) before the end of the year.  But I wanted to make sure I was getting the proper nutrition too, so I've decided two weeks on and two weeks off should give me the progress I want and the nutrition I need. 

Fortunately, this is the kind of diet that allows this kind of freedom.  It also allows for the days when we do allow ourselves things we shouldn't have (like on my birthday this Friday and Thanksgiving next week), saying that you can always detoxify your body with one to two weeks back on phase one to undo any damage you might have done.

I'll keep you updated how it goes.  We'll know on Saturday, which is weigh in day.  Unfortunately it falls right after my Friday night badness LOL  That will be the true test.

No comments: