Tuesday, November 18, 2003

The South Beach Diet #1

A little today on the diet I've chosen to follow to lose my weight.  I never really wanted to go on any low carb diets because I have a passionate love affair for breads, pastas and sweet stuff (Krispy Kreme donuts leave me in ecstatic glee).  I resisted the high protein, high fat Atkins diet, even though someone I personally know lost about 80lbs or more in about 9 months. 

Unfortunately I do have gallbladder problems so I can't eat a high fat diet even if I wanted to.  So when I found the South Beach Diet, it sounded like a more sensible, and more practical (at least for me) diet.

The first two weeks are severely restricted.  You can't eat any sugars, including fruits or fruit juices.  You can't have any bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.  You can eat eggs, even though I'm not a big fan of eggs.  I discovered Egg Beaters not too long ago in one of my many fat restricted diets and I really prefer them over real eggs.  They don't leave the aftertaste regular eggs do. 

You can't have any dairy to speak of but you can have lowfat cheeses, which are one of the rare foods that don't add carbs to make up for fat in their processing.  It's a good thing, I love cheese.

You can have unlimited veggies except for the high carb ones like carrots and corn.  You are limited in how many tomatoes you can consume, but I rarely eat tomatoes so it's not that big of a deal for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to go on a sugar free diet too. Keep me updated on how well you do.

Nell