Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Simplifying Things

I think part of my problem has always been overscheduling life.  Free time is not my friend, simply because there's no where to run from it.  If there are problems to be dealt with, they'll sneak up on you if you're not doing anything else.

So I overschedule my life and make things so complicated that, big surprise, I feel the need to "indulge" myself as a reward.

It's an endless cycle.

Therefore the first order of business is simplifying my life a little bit.  I've dropped the college courses, for one.  I'm working less hours for two, and that's just going to have to be okay.  Steven makes enough money that I can slow down a bit and start concentrating on other things.  Things that are equally important as money. 

Running the household, for one.  With Steven working ten hour days, six days a week, I need to invest more in keeping the house clean and preparing meals rather than just spending money we don't need to spend eating out.

That means I get to be a part time housewife.  I think that physically organizing the house will do a lot to affect my mood.  I cleaned up a bit the other day and it seemed to help a lot. 

I've also decided that with this next grocery bill I'm going to simplify my diet as well.  No more processed stuff.  I'll have time now to prepare healthier, fresher foods.  I'm also going to stay away from the white stuff.... overly processed sugars and flours.  Not saying a low carb diet, but just choosing better carbohydrates.  I'll go back to charting what I eat too, and keeping accountable.

Now to the hard part.  The exercise portion of this whole deal.

I'm going to stick with walking the treadmill at the gym, but just one hour a day.  One day a week I'll walk the extra increments needed to meet my 10km goal by October 16.  I also bought a new Pilates tape, so once I get a new balance ball I'll use that for toning. 

Just one step in front of the other.  It's all I can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger,
It sounds like you have formulated a great plan for making your life more simple & run more smoothly for you. I know that when I get over-stressed and over- busy....over-eating just seems to naturally follow!! You're so very right...it is an endless cycle, and one I hope we can break forever! Well, I know we're going to do it....I have no doubts! You continue to be an inspiration to me and I so admire your determined efforts to keep going forward.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan!  Have you discovered flylady.net?  It's a lifesaver when it comes to decluttering and household stuff!  :)