Friday, August 5, 2005

I rock. Um hum... Yeah. That's right

I had a rocky start to the week.  I didn't feel 100% so I stayed home from the gym.  Which made me feel worse.

Wednesday I made it to the park instead and walked a mile, but with the humidity I was toast.

Which made me look forward to the gym, so I ended up going on Thursday.

This week marks my 2.5 mile walk, and so by the time I did it on Thursday I knew I had to walk a consistant 2.5 mph so I can get my walk in before the machine cuts out.  Doing random, this was a pretty decent workout.  By 1.6 I was done, emotionally.  I kept thinking of excuses of why I could quit. 

But then I thought to myself that you never know what you're able to do, until you push past what you think you can do.  So I decided I was going to make it to 2.0 miles no matter how wobbly my legs felt.

I mean, if I felt like I was going to collapse I would have stopped, for sure.  But this wasn't that.

By the 2.0 mile mark I felt good enough to keep going and I did.

So I consider this a huge victory.  I wanted to stop, seriously thought about stopping, but kept on going to meet my goal.

I'm learning to do that with shopping to.  It seems like if I just give in mentally to the temptation, then I have an easier time turning it down.

I call it the "Walking Around the Store" theory.

If you see something you want to buy, pick it up, walk around, and "own" it for the moment.  Carry it around the store.  This generally sates the impulse to spend and I am able to put it back and walk out of the store without spending.

This really works for me.  I'm not really deprived, and I'm able to make a wiser decision based not on the impulse but on rational thought. 

So maybe that's what the treadmill thing was about the other day.  But I felt it a personal victory nonetheless.

And today I did it again, this time going up to 3mph in some spots, bracing for next week's 3 mile jaunt.

I was a bit down last week because I didn't lose any inches.  I felt so bloated and gross for the entire weekend and into the beginning of the week it just had me down in the dumps. 

I gotta keep reminding myself that it's not about anything other than meeting those goals, like I did on Thursday.

That's what counts in the end.

In other news, I am now an official member of the Zero 1 street team.

Zero 1 is a rock band fronted by Hal Sparks and they have really great music.  My part is to introduce all of you to them.

If you check out my profile page on myspace, I have one of my favorite songs they have "She Waits" - with lyrics:

 http://www.myspace.com/allgingerallthetime

or you can go to their myspace music page to sample other songs:

 http://www.myspace.com/zero1band 

or you can check out their old myspace music page under their old name:

 http://www.myspace.com/thehalsparksband

where you'll find "On Living Dead", which actually inspired a lot of my work on my last screenplay.  It's another favorite.

Now go listen. 

And enjoy :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've inspired to me start a journal of my own.  One bad habit I was in, was to delete my journals after they got lengthy, thinking my entries were " stupid " and of no interest.  But, I think in looking back we gain the greatest understanding of ourselves and I don't want to lose that again.  You are doing so well on your goals and I love reading your entries.  Your entry about actually meeting Hal Sparks was particularly inspiring.  Thanks for sharing so openly.   I'll visit often and wish you the best.  Thanks!  ChazyJazz